I am James Leiter, Jr. I have written this book to be used as a format for groups of people engaged in workshops that want to create a book of their own views for improving public education, and publish it on Amazon’s Createspace.com and slideshare.net.
The thesis of my book is:
DEMOCRATIC PUBLIC EDUCATION PRODUCES GRADUATES WHO:
(1) are intrinsically motivated.
(2) are autonomous; they think and act for themselves responsible.
(3) relate well with others and know how to compromise.
(4) are competent and actively participate in their governments by voting and holding public offices.
(5) are self-actualized and constantly seek to improve the quality of their own lives and the lives of others.
CHARACTERISTICS OF GRADUATES OF THE AUTOCRATIC EDUCATION FOUND IN THE GREAT MAJORITY OF PUBLIC SCHOOL ARE:
(1) they are extrinsically motivated because the autocratic treatment of behaviorism has killed their intrinsic motivations.
(2)they are dependent on others to teach them how to think and act
(3)they are fearful and relate poorly to others.
(4)they are lacking the competence and knowledge of how to improve the quality of their own lives and the lives of others.
STUDENTS AND YOUNG GRADUATES ARE THE ONLY GROUP BIG ENOUGH, IDEALISTIC ENOUGH AND WITH ENOUGH POWER TO INDUCE SCHOOL AUTHORITIES TO MAKE THE NEEDED REFORMS
It is also the group that will most benefit from the changes. (Teachers could help and also benefit, but by opposing the status quo, they could lose their jobs. Students have nothing to lose but their chains.)
Click here to see our workshop format.